What is cannabidiol (cbd), where is it found, and what are its beneficial and side effects
Cannabidiol, also known as CBD, is one of the most talked-about topics in recent years due to its positive effects on our body and its origin: marijuana and, in very high concentrations, CBD cannabis.
But what exactly is CBD, what are its benefits, and how does it affect our body?
Today we want to answer these and other questions about cannabidiol so that you can know everything (absolutely everything!) About it.
CBD from cannabis: what is it, and where is it found?
Cannabidiol, also known as CBD, is one of the significant active ingredients of the hemp plant. More precisely, the CBD flowers (both high THC marijuana and CBD weed) has glands called trichomes that secrete a thick and dense resin.
This resin contains secondary metabolites that protect the plant from parasites, insects and unfavourable temperatures. It is also rich in cannabinoids — including CBD —, active ingredients that interact with the body’s endocannabinoid system.
The endocannabinoid system, composed of cannabinoid receptors such as CB1 and CB2, endocannabinoids and enzymes, is essential for developing and maintaining the organism’s stability!
You must know that endocannabinoids are substances produced naturally by our brain. The receptors interact both with them and with external cannabinoids (i.e., those of hemp), stimulating numerous areas and functions of our body.
The areas in which cannabinoid receptors are concentrated most are those of the brain, in particular:
- Hippocampus, which affects memory
- Cerebral cortex, which regulates cognitive abilities
- Basal ganglia, responsible for the regulation of movements
- Cerebellum, which involves motor coordination
- Hypothalamus, which affects the appetite (not surprisingly, it is known as “the centre of hunger”)
- Amygdala, the control unit of emotions
- Peri-aqueductal grey substance which, among other functions, is capable of modulating pain
CBD interacts positively with the endocannabinoid system, reducing some negative symptoms such as pain, inflammation, anxiety and much more.
Read also: CBD: benefits, properties and effects of the active ingredient of cannabis light
What are the beneficial effects of CBD?
Cannabidiol, contained in high quantities in CBD weed and present in high THC marijuana, is the active ingredient of cannabis present both in legal weed flowers and in products derived from them, including CBD oil and CBD hash.
These products are so well known and sought after for a simple reason: their positive effects on our body.
CBD interacts with cannabinoid receptors causing the following outcomes:
- Thanks to the analgesic and anti-inflammatory effects (the latter could also play a positive role in regulating the immune system).
- Intense relaxation and reduction of insomnia episodes, thanks to the calming effect.
- Sedation of muscle spasms and convulsions due to the antispasmodic and anticonvulsant effects of CBD.
- Lowering of blood pressure (highly positive effect in the case of glaucoma and high blood pressure).
- Protection of cells, especially neurons, due to the antioxidant effect.
- Action against nausea and vomiting thanks to the antiemetic effect (significant to counteract the side effects of radium and chemotherapy and eating disorders such as anorexia and bulimia).
- Reduction of the symptoms of anxiety and depression due to the beneficial anxiolytic and relaxing effects.
- A clear contrast to the symptoms of psychosis and schizophrenia, thanks to the sedative and anxiolytic effect (which, together, we could summarize in the antipsychotic impact). Not surprisingly, CBD counteracts the adverse effects of THC, including, precisely, anxiety and psychosis.
Despite being a completely natural substance, CBD also has side effects that should not be underestimated, so it is advisable to take it only after listening to the medical opinion about it.
CBD: contraindications, side effects and interaction with some drugs
The adverse effects of cannabidiol are very few compared to the benefits of this active ingredient in marijuana. Yet we must not underestimate them because they could be dangerous in pathologies and taking particular drugs.
We talk to you not to go against our work or our CBD- based articles online, but because it is essential to have full awareness of a product before purchasing.
Here, then, are the possible side effects of CBD:
- Dry mouth
- Lowering of blood pressure (although this is a positive effect in some cases)
- Severe sleepiness
- Negative interaction with some medications, including antihistamines and antibiotics
For the safety of the baby, it is preferable to avoid taking cannabidiol during pregnancy and breastfeeding. Not surprisingly, the only CBD-based drug on the market (Epidiolex, for the treatment of childhood epilepsy) is approved for children aged 1 year and up.
Read also: Cannabis Flos: what it is and what its effects are
If you’ve read the whole article, you know what CBD is, where it is found, and its beneficial and side effects.
Do you want to buy the best cannabidiol products online?
Then visit Just Bob now, our cbd online shop, where you can find legal weed, and other productslike CBD oil and legal hash.
We are waiting for you!